Friday, February 17, 2012

Week 4 -- Prompts

Somebody just offered me the chance to get paid for gassing on about one of my favorite topics:  my job.

I am a CNA and absolutely love what I do. I have been told that it takes a certain kind of person to do that kind of work. I work in a nursing home with the elderly, although it isn't just the elderly these days. I see younger people coming into the facility as well. Some come with incurable diseases and others come for rehab. Rehab might be physical therapy after having knee or hip replacements, these residents eventually get to go home, exciting.

But, my favorites are the ones who actually live at the facility, if you will. I find it very interesting as far as the different personalities, likes and dislikes. Even though there are many frustrating moments, most of the time it can be very rewarding. Sometimes it is very sad, there are residents who almost never get visitors, cause they have no family or no family near by. Then, you see others who have family in every day almost.

I find it upsetting that we have to give the elderly so many medications. I do understand and realize that some of it is needed. But, like children with ADHD, let's medicate them so that we don't have to deal with them and their behaviors. Anyway, that is another whole different topic.

 The approach that you take sometimes can help make all the difference in the world. I tell the new aides all the time about approach. They need to approached slowly, and talk to them. When you talk to them and let them know what you are going to do, will help in how they respond to you. How would you like it if someone just came in your room, walked over to you and started grabbing your hand, taking your shirt off, washing your face or whatever without letting you know that you what they intend to do. Even though the resident might not be able to talk to you, you should still talk to them.

I, myself like the residents that are a little feisty. I like the challenge to try and win them over. This can take a while sometimes. The grumpy old men seem to be my favorite. First thing I have found is that you have to get them to trust you. If you tell them you will be back in 5 minutes, be back in 5 minutes. If they ask for something do it in a timely manner. Sit and talk to them, find out their interest. I try to get them to laugh. Don't be afraid to give hugs. Hugs are healthy for all.

This reminds me of  a little story. When I had first started at my current job, there was a little old man, who I would classify as one of these grumpy kind of guys. He wasn't usually very cooperative or nice to the girls much. "Oh yeah," I said to myself, "Where do I begin with him?" So day after day I would make it a point to go see him. "What to hell do you want?" he would say to me. Raising his voice, "Get to hell out of here, NO, I am not going to get ready for bed." He would growl, swear and carry on. But I would still continue to go see him every time I worked. Taking little steps, sitting on the bed beside him, not asking him to do anything, just basic conversation, how was your day, or how are you feeling, what did he know today? I would just put my hand on his, pat him on the back when I left. One day I found out that he used to be a boxer. This helped make for better conversation. Then as we were having better conversation, he would let me do more of his care. Finally he would laugh. He would start out being grumpy and I would say to him, "Oh stop that, you don't want be to be that way with you, do you?" He would laugh. I have found that back rubs are a good persuader. Now we laugh and joke, he seems to look forward to seeing me. "You again," he'll say laughing. Now he will even ask," Will you rub my back?" We fool around like we are boxing or wrestling, he is now being more sociable and agreeable most of the time. Also, I noticed that the other girls started to follow my lead and woooowwwww what a difference.

I love the challenges and I love my job.  

1 Comments:

At February 19, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

I like the heart of this--your fancy footwork defeating the jabs of grumpy old boxer. Good stuff, offering the reader real insights into healthcare, the old man, and the writer.

But ask yourself how much the first four grafs (or three if you don't count the prompt graf) contribute to the whole.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home