Friday, January 27, 2012

Week 2 -- Prompt

The stuff I've collected over the years in my little box / bureau drawer / keepsake chest marks every step of my way. Not sure why or how I have managed to keep it all these years but I still have my name tag and my 100 hour pin from when I was a volunteer candy striper. It was back when I was in high school. My mother would take 2 or 3 of us girls from Harrington to Machias so that we could volunteer at the hospital. I recall that we would have so much fun. I learned so much from that experience. I also have several of my name tags from when I worked as a CNA. Each name tag has a different story. There are different memories of residents and co-workers that go with each name tag. After several years of CNA work I went into retail.

When Fashion Bug opened their first store in Topsham, Maine I was hired as a manager trainee. Worked my way up to become and assistant manager and then finally a store manager and on to an assistant supervisor. While being a store manager my store had a secret shopper come through, which they did often. We were given an outstanding customer service award, which I have kept through the years. It amazes me as to the strange little things that we keep.  Also have other memorabilia stashed away of my Fashion Bug years. Was a great job. One of the bad choices I have made when I decided not to work there any more.Fond memories of the people that I worked with. Pictures I have kept of different store personnel dressed up in Halloween costumes.

The picture of me that was posted with other management people at Ames Department Store in Skowhegan I still have. I still have some of the writings, pictures and special student awards of my children. Even though out of style and I don't wear them I have these little basket earrings that were my great-grandmothers. I have moved so many times that I am not sure how I have managed to still have some of these little items.
I am now back to working as a CNA, received an employee of the month award and then chosen for employee of the year. Certificates, flyers from where everyone signed them have been added to my keepsake box.

Now I still have a lot of things to do and add to my keepsake box. I wonder what my children will say after I am gone. Maybe, something like Oh My God, why did mom keep all this stuff. Oh well, it is mine and I like to look back and tell about it as I go through it with my grandchildren. The stuff reminds me of some of the people, places and things that got me where I am today and the person that I have become.

1 Comments:

At January 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

It's funny but the older I get the less interested in the past I become. It's more 'now' than 'then.'

You do a fine job of showing us through your keepsakes--not too much detail, not too little. You handle your paragraphs with skill and style.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home