Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 4 -- Prompts

Laying at the foot of my bed is a patchwork blanket. This blanket is hand sewn and made of squares, solids stripe and printed, with a pink backing and border. It is probably twenty-five plus years old. My aunt had made it for a family reunion and it has many names which were signed on it that day, many which are now fading. I had been fortunate enough to won it on a raffle that day. I just recently have started to have it out, was packed for many years cause I refused to use it.

If only this patchwork blanket could talk. It would be interesting to hear what it would have to say about the conversations that took place that day of the family reunion. I was much younger and remember that there were a lot of people there that I really didn't know. Some came from out of state, others from areas of Maine and of course some with in the local surrounding towns of where the reunion was held. If this blanket could talk it could tell me the names and which square they were on  so I could put them back on, this time with a permanent marker. It was a great day, as I remember.

I read the names on the blanket, if the blanket could talk it could remind me who a few of the names are that, I don't remember.. It could tell stories of those that have died. I would love to hear it tell of my grandparents, even though I remember very well. It could tell of me about my great aunt and uncle who managed and run a crew of blueberry rakers for years. I think back and remember that some of the family that lived away would take vacation the month of August. They would take their vacation to come camp out and rake blueberries. I am sure the patchwork blanket could tell a lot that I don't remember. I think that it would be interesting to hear what it might say.

If only this patchwork blanket could talk...........I could learn the answer to a lot of questions??????????? Such as: What were some of the conversations that took place while my aunt was making it? I wonder how many times she poked herself with the needle? If any. How long did it take her to make the blanket? What gave her the idea to make the blanket and have everyone sign it?

Oh patchwork blanket tell me how did it feel to come together one square at a time? Having all those hands on you as they signed their names. What did you think?  Probably wasn't very fun having been packed away all those years? Oh patchwork blanket if only you could talk to me.

1 Comments:

At February 12, 2012 at 4:16 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

I particularly like when you get into some of the family history in graf 3 and speculate on the making of the blanket in graf 4--that material brings the reader in close.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home