Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 1 Prompt--Know Thyself

Alone in a quiet room; Listen, what do I hear?

Wow, actually you can hear more than one would think. Sitting in my room, where it is the quietest, I hear like a ringing noise in my ears. Well, maybe it isn't a ringing noise, maybe it is more like a humming noise. Oh listen, I hear the sloppy, slurping of the dog, as he drinks his water. Thinking boy is he loud, hadn't realized how loud until I was listening in the silence of a quiet room. Then wow, he needs his toenails cut as I hear them click, click across the floor.
The mumbles of the TV down in the living room as the others are indulging themselves in some program, movie, show or whatever.  Off in the distance a car is passing by. Then a few minutes later another car rumbles by. They each have their own unique sound.Wondering how often does a car pass by that you don't even notice, if you are not listening. 
Apparently the house has started to cool off, as the rumble of the furnace begins. Then in a few seconds the baseboard hot-water heaters along the wall start making sounds as the heat passes through. Even through all of that I can hear the sounds of my fingers tapping away at the keys of my computer. Oh, that is a different sound, as the backspace key is tapped at a different beat, damn mistakes.
Granddaughter must be home as I hear the turning of the doorknob, then the closing of the front door. Then the rustling of her stuff with whatever she might be doing.
Kind of funny how the quiet room can have so many sounds. I love listening to the rumbling, splashing, moving sounds of the ocean water ( having grown up near the ocean). As I sit in a quiet room with me eyes closed, thinking of the sounds I can hear them in my head. Refreshing and relaxing. 

1 Comments:

At January 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

One of the things this prompt can do is elicit observation, detail, and meditation on those details--and I think you nail all that down very nicely.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home