Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Week 12 -- Prompt

Slamming Doors

Doors open and doors close. Some doors reopen, while others never open again.

Our relationship was a little rocky, but trying to work through it. One can only try for so long a time before you figure out or decide that there is no use. No use time to move on to bigger and better things. 

Him not working at anything steady, me working full time and trying to keep up with the daily chores of house and kids. Yes, he would cook and pick up around the house some, but that didn't off set all of the other shit, the drinking, the fighting, no drivers license and the lack of responsibility. All of these things get old after awhile.

Finally, things came to ahead one night. I had had enough. This time it was no threat, I had made up my mind either he was leaving or I was leaving it was the end. 

He informed me, "I am not going anywhere."

"Fine, I am leaving then, this is over. I have had enough, I can't take anymore." I told him.

"If you go I will get the gun in the closet and kill myself." He was spouting off.

"Threats aren't going to make me change my mind. Let me get the shells for you." I replied.

Calmly walking up the stairs, told the girls,  "Get a change of clothes, walk down the stairs and go straight to the car and I will be right behind you."

They did exactly as they were told with no questions asked, as I am sure that they had heard part of the argument. Very calmly, I went right behind them. Slammed the door, got in my car and away we drove.

At the time it didn't matter what he was going to do, I didn't care. I didn't look back. Well I supposed in a way I did for a moment, as I got to a friends house and called the police just to let them know what the conversation was and that maybe they would check on the situation. Cause if he had shot himself I would not have been a suspect for it. 

Then the door slammed and I never looked back after that.




 

1 Comments:

At April 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

Dramatic situation, very well told in a flat, unemotional, telegraphic style that contrasts nicely with the drama.

The way you use the door stuff at the close to pick up the door stuff in the opening is very slick too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home