Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Week 8 -- Prompt -- A City Street

What the Hell Just Happened?

Nice sunny afternoon,window down and the music blaring loudly. Out to do errands and then go to work. The bank parking lot buzzing with people walking to and from their cars. Cars lined up at the ATM machine of course, cause that is where I wanted to go. Thinking why are these people in my way don't they know that I have things to do. Finally get some money, drive around to leave the seemingly busy parking lot and flying by is a screaming firetruck. Lights flashing and the whole nine yards. Well there goes an ambulance screaming by, lights flashing, siren going, great wonder where they are off to. 

Out of the parking lot finally zipping up the avenue to stop at KFC to get a lunch to eat on the way to work. Oh good there is no line at the drive thru. But wait why am I sitting here and no one is talking to me. Finally a voice, "Sorry for the wait can I take your order?" I start talking with what I would like to have and being a little annoyed. Just a minute please. Waiting, waiting, and waiting. Interruption after interruption. Sorry after sorry. Well why can't I just my damn order done. Finally order finished and correct I hope. 

Pull around to the pickup window, sitting and waiting. All of a sudden the traffic on the avenue stops. A car pulls over, horns honking and out jumps a small wirely man screaming, hands flying through the air. every once in awhile words I can understand. Pointing his finger, " What the fuck is you're problem?" "Get out of that car and we'll see." Back and forth, screaming, hands flying. Lady in the car mumbling. Cars and trucks stopped. I am thinking what to hell is going on. 

Finally the I hear I am really sorry about the inconvenience. Had a man in our front lobby giving us a hard time. Your order should be right out. Just kind of sitting in awe. With what is happening? Customers inside having a bad one. People stopped in the street having some kind of road rage. Then there is little me just wanting my order so I can go to work, wondering what all just happened in the last twenty minutes. 

It was almost like in a movie.  Lights, sirens, traffic, and confrontation. Just didn't seem like I was in the quiet town of Skowhegan. Bewildered I was. Kinda chuckled to myself holy shit.

1 Comments:

At March 15, 2012 at 6:31 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

Who would have guessed it! I mean, Norridgewock, sure, everyone knows that place is full of drama, excitement, and action, but Skowhegan? The last exciting thing in Skowhegan was the tenbillionth shoe to come off the line at New Balance!

You describe it nicely, especially the wait at KFC, and you need to describe it well because it DOES sound so unusual!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home