Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 6 -- Prompt

The Safest Place in the World............

What is it to be safe? Safe from the weather, safe from harm, safe from abuse, safe from other people.

If there is a place that I feel the safest, it is my  house, my home. A house is the structure and building block where you make your home. There are walls, a roof and a basement. The exterior walls and the roof keep you safe and protected from the weather. The walls are insulated which help in being able to heat my home efficiently. Inside are interior walls that make up rooms within the house.  Each room has its own sense of security. Not that I think we have to worry much about tornadoes and hurricanes that can destroy a house, but if we did, the basement would be a safe place, as it sets below ground surface and is constructed of concrete walls.

I feel safest in my home as I feel that I have a sense of control. Control as to who comes and goes. I can control to a point the actions that take place in my home. The unity of family being there and helping each other helps in the sense of security and safety. Knowing and having the ability to monitor what my children watch on television, what they are eating and drinking. Being able to keep them safe from harmful elements of the world, being physical or mental. Knowing that just anybody or everyone isn't going to be coming into my home to invade my space and privacy.

I have a chocolate lab, who tends to be very protective. Knowing that he will warn me of strange noises, or people at the door makes for a good sense of security. Speaking of the door, I like the fact that in my front door there is a little peak hole. This peak hole enables me to see who is at the door without opening first, good safety feature. It gives me the opportunity to decide rather I should open the door or not. If I was to feel threatened, I could call the police. As this is my home and safety zone, so I could have the threat removed.





1 Comments:

At March 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

Towards the end where you begin to describe some of the particulars of your house (dog, peephole), the piece gains some individuality--it could have used more of those kinds of specifics throughout.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home